Sunday, June 4, 2017

Number 3 in the I am a Hoarder series...

I used to print black and white photos in a rental darkroom down on 3rd Street in Manhattan.  It was behind an art gallery, and when the gallery wasn't open you could rent the darkroom.  You could go back there and lock yourself in, turn on the radio and work as long as you wanted.  It was a little slice of heaven.  These are the negatives and many of the prints I made back there.  I want to use them again.  I haven't shot film in ages, but every time I look through these notebooks I want to break out the film cameras and start again.

One story about the darkroom.  I came out one evening, having been in there for hours, to find the street full of police.  I asked what was going on, after I explained where I had come from, since the gallery was closed and dark.  They said that the Hell's Angels had a clubhouse at the other end of the street and they were having a book signing.

After I processed that I asked about the heavy police presence for a book signing in a place not well known to house bigtime readers?   The police said that it was unusual, but the last time they had a book signing there was a shooting, so they were there just as deterrence.

I went home.. New York, the East Side in the 1980's you gotta love it.

1 comment:

Gill said...

Fun story, Jordi! Looking forward to seeing what magic you weave with those old pics...